- Monitor all AREA elements for adherence to AREA constitution;
- Establish operating policies and procedures in accordance with AREA constitution;
- Prepare annual budgets and establish member dues necessary to meet budgets;
- Promote chapter proliferation and issue chapter charters to member groups;
- Publish quarterly Newsletter;
- Submit annual reports to members in the July Newsletter;
- Promote AREA and chapter membership;
- Maintain lines of communication between the Board, members, chapters, The Exchange,
and the community;
- Administer and promote the Scholarship, Community Service and Emergency Relief
- Publish Membership Directories;
- Insure the safety and security of all AREA funds and assets;
- Maintain the AREA specific website;
- Annually review AREA’s objectives for future growth.
President responsibilities include…
- Provide guidance and direction to AREA activities;
- Select members to serve in appointed positions;
- Schedule and conduct Board meetings at least quarterly;
- Ensure the material on the website is current;
- Communicate individually with chapter presidents as appropriate. i.e., assuming or
relinquishing office, problems requiring attention, etc.;
- Assure adherence to Constitution, Bylaws and policy / procedures;
- Set objectives for future growth.
President-Elect responsibilities include…
- Become familiar with Board members’ responsibilities;
- Become familiar with the website History File and other AREA background material;
- Assist President and other Board members on specific projects;
- Keep current on Community Relations;
- Assume office and duties in absence of President;
- Assume presidency of the organization upon retirement of the incumbent president.
Secretary responsibilities include…
- Recorder and historian of AREA activities, except for the Newsletter;
- Record minutes of Executive Board. Distributes copies;
- Prepare correspondence for President as needed;
- Assist in updating the History file;
- Maintain inventory of supplies.
Treasurer responsibilities include…
- Record and maintain AREA financial transactions;
- Deposit all receipts;
- Disburse checks upon receipt of properly documented invoices;
- Draft annual expense budget for approval of Board;
- Maintain the books of account;
- Coordinate and implement the investment program with the Financial / Insurance
- Prepare quarterly Income and Expense reports and Balance Sheets for AREA,
Emergency Relief and Scholarship Program;
- Submit end-of-year final reports and supporting data for audit;
- Summarize AREA financial results and status of operations for posting on the website
annually on July 1st;
- When deemed necessary, recommend changes to improve AREA accounting
procedures to Board;
- Report annually on adequacy of reserves.
Membership Director responsibilities include…
- Monitor AREA and chapter membership records;
- Maintain AREA membership data base;
- Maintain scholarship donations data base;
- Forward dues checks to Treasurer indicating scholarship donations or year’s dues paid
for each member;
- Send scholarship chairman listing of scholarship donors and amount, as received;
- Send welcome letters and packets to new members;
- Provide chapters with membership applications;
- Research and resolve discrepancies that arise over data base entries and dues payments.
Information Director responsibilities include…
- Develop and execute / coordinate on publications and other information about AREA
and its chapters;
- Editor of the Newsletter and Membership Directory;
- Maintain historical records for publications and other information material;
- Coordination of publicity on the website, and with the community, the Exchange Post,
and other sources.
Auditor responsibilities include…
- Audit AREA financial records annually;
- Audit AREA financial reports according to accepted audit procedures;
- Audit transactions and reports of:
- AREA dues and other income and administrative expenses;
- Scholarship Fund donations, investment returns, and grants awarded;
- Emergency Relief Fund.
- Report in writing to Executive Board upon completion of audits:
- Accuracy of records;
- Any irregularities;
- Effectiveness of security of monies;
- Any recommended procedural changes.
Financial / Insurance Advisor responsibilities include…
- Provide financial advice to board;
- Periodically review, with Treasurer, the amount of cash on hand and amount needed
for immediate future expenses;
- Jointly recommend moving excess monies from checking account into more lucrative
- Ensure that investment decisions are based upon minimum risk and reasonable return;
- Advise and recommend to the Board any insurance requirements.
AREA VEBA Trustee responsibilities include…
- Serve as the AREA representative on the Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association
(VEBA) at HQ, The Exchange;
- Attend HQ meetings;
- Keep the Board and membership informed of benefit discussions and changes.
Legal Advisor responsibilities include…
- Provide legal assistance to AREA elements;
- Review all proposed contracts that AREA desires to enter into;
- Provide legal advice to Board and chapters;
- Recommend appropriate legal counsel in major matters of litigation.
Scholarship Committee responsibilities include…
- Direct the activities of the Scholarship program;
- Appointed chairperson will select 5 other committee members;
- Recommend procedural changes to Board for approval;
Board Members Elections & Appointment
- Voting members elected by the membership are referred to as Officers of the
- AREA President
- Voting members appointed by the president.
These 5 members + the 4 members
elected by the membership are referred to as the Executive Officers of the Association.
- Membership Director
- Information Director
- Three Members–at-Large
- Non-Voting members appointed by the president:
These appointees + the nine
voting members above are referred to the Executive Board.
- Legal Advisor
- Financial / Insurance Advisor
- VEBE Trustee
- Chairpersons of these committees:
Scholarship, Community Service and Emergency Relief.
- Chuck Poffenbarger, President
- Vacant, President Elect
- Don Smith, Secretary
- Gerry Peterson, Treasurer
- Larry Phillips, Information Director
- Tom Harmon, Member-At-Large
- Milt Bergman, Member-At-Large
- Bob Haver, Member-At-Large
- Gene Miller, Auditor
- Thomas Reagor, Legal Advisor
- Tom Gallagher, Scholarship Program
- Richard Fregoe, Community Service
- Martin Handel, Financial Advisor / VEBA Representative
- Pat Weaver, Memebership Director